Zander with Alkmaarse pearl barley and butter sauce by Ron Blaauw
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 200 gr Alkmaarse pearl barley
- 4 dl vegetable or chicken fond / stock
- 2 leaves of laurel
- 100 gr smoked bacon blocks
- 100 gr Sultana raisins
- 4 dl farmers buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs with dill, tarragon and mint, finely chopped.
- Salt and pepper
- 250 gr butter
- 25 ml Noilly Prat (Vermouth)
- 25 ml white wine (dry)
- 40 gr shallot rings
- 8 pieces of pepper granules (bruised)
- 1 leaf of laurel
- 4 pieces of egg yolks
- 40 ml water
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 drips of Tabasco
- Add salt if you like
- 4 pieces of zander fillet with skin (150 gr each)
- 4 tablespoons of soya oil
- 50 gr butter
- Preheat the WWOO Braaimaster, on an indirect method for 180c.
- Clean and soak the raisins in lukewarm water.
- Clean the pearl barley with cold water.
- Boil the pearl barley and the fond with laurel.
- Boil the pearl barley in one hour al dente, in a covered pan on a medium fire in the WWOO Braaimaster.
- Add the buttermilk and raisins halfway through the boil time.
- Roast the bacon blocks in an oven dish on the Big Green Egg and keep this aside.
- Cut the mint in very thin strips and keep this aside.
- Melt the butter on an indirect fire on the WWOO Braaimaster. Make sure this colors light brown / nutty and pour this liquid through a refined sieve. Let it cool down to 50c.
- Boil down the white wine, Vermouth, pepper, the laurel leaf, shallot and water halfway.
- Sieve this mixture in a mixing bowl and let it cool down a bit.
- Put a pan on the fire with some water and whip the white wine mixture with the egg yolks ‘au bain-marie’ on a medium fire.
- Take the pan off the fire.
- After that, whip the lukewarm butter through the egg yolks.
- Flavor with the lemonjuice, salt, Tabasco and pepper.
- Zander: check the fillet for fish bones. Carve the skin of the fillets a few times with a very sharp knife. Cover the fillets all around with butter and oil, flavor with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons white wine (or stock).
- Wrap all this up in foil and cook it al dente on the Big Green Egg, on a direct fire for about 10 minutes. Let it rest for another 4 minutes after that.
- Mix the roasted bacon (with the fluid fat) and mint through the pearl barley. Taste it, add some pepper according to your own taste and mix this well.
- Serve this on warm plates. Unpack the fillets, put them on the pearl barley and add a good portion of sauce.
Ron’s advice: use fresh grated lemon skin and herbs to garnish.