Winter stew with hare, caramel apples and pearl couscous salad by Ron Blaauw
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 100 gr butter
- 4 hare bolts
- 2 tablespoons flower
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 300 gr bouquet vegetables (carrot, onion, leek en turnip)
- 2 laurel leaves
- 10 black pepper granules
- 1 teaspoon juniper
- 1 branch rosemary
- 2 dl red wine
- 4 dl wild stock
- 50 gr pure chocolate
- 50 gr gingerbread
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
- 200 gr pearl couscous
- 600 gr vegetables or poultry stock
- 50 gr olive oil
- 100 gr carrot brunoise
- 100 gr onion brunoise
- 2 laurel leaves
- 50 gr soaked raisins
- 20 gr almonds (gehalveerd of geschaafd, goudbruin gebruneerd (op de Braaimaster))
- 1 tablespoon mint
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley
- 2 pieces fresh sweet apple (Elstar or Braeburn)
- 50 gr butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 branch rosemary, thin chopped
- ½ lemon, zeste and juice
- Preheat the WWOO Braaimaster, on an indirect method for 180c.
- Prepare everything. Cut and wash the vegetables.
- Melt the butter in a “Dutchoven” or just a pan with a thick bottom.
- Add salt and pepper to the hare bolts. After that, add flower to the meat and bake this with the butter on the WWOO Braaimaster, on direct fire.
- Add the herbs and vegetables and bake this with the rest.
- After that, add the tomato paste and bake this with the rest for 5 minutes.
- Extinguish all of this with red wine and wild stock.
- Cook this on a low and indirect fire for about 4 hours on 110c.
- The meat is well done when it doesn’t stick to the bones anymore.
- Take out the meat of the moisture, pick the meat of the bones and keep this aside.
- Sift the sauce and boil it till it has reached the perfect level of thickness.
- For the couscous, add some oil in the pan and stew the onion and carrot softly.
- Add the couscous itself and the remaining ingredients, except for the fresh herbs.
- Cook this al dente in 30 minutes, in a covered pan on the WWOO Braaimaster.
- Before serving, add the thin chopped fresh herbs and almonds.
- Peel the apples and cut these in equal pieces.
- Melt the butter in a oven proof bowl or a pan.
- Bake the apples till they are golden brown. At last, add the honey and sugar and let it caramelize.
- Extinguish this with the lemon zeste and juice.
- Mix the gingerbread and chocolate with the tasteful wild sauce and taste it.
- Add the picked hare meat.
- Stir the couscous and taste it.
- Put the couscous in a preheated plate. After that, add the stew.
- Garnish the dish with the warm, caramelized apples and flat leaf parsley.